The first ten days of DHul Hijjah
The first ten days of Dhul Hijjah are considered the best ten days of the year for Muslims. The prophet(PBUH): There is no virtue more to the liking of Allah in any day than in these days, that is, the first ten days of Dhu al-Hijjah. They (the Companions) asked: Messenger of Allah, not even the struggle in the path of Allah (Jihad) ? He said: (Yes), not even the struggle in the path of Allah, except a man who goes out (in the path of Allah) with his life and property, and does not return with any of them.” So the question is; what should do in these ten days to make best use of them?
- Reading the Quran
- Fasting; The Prophet(PBUH) said: “Fasting the day of `Arafah expiates the sins of two years: the past one and the coming one.” [Muslim]
- Giving Sadaqah
- Making mention of Allah; say subhan Allah, Alhamdulillah, la illah ill Allah.”
- Maintaining the ties of kinship; the prophet(PBUH);”He who is desirous that his means of sustenance should be expanded for him or his age may be lengthened, should join the tie of relationship.”
- Finally, give your Qurabani to feed the poor and enjoy the Eid.
The last ten days of Ramadan
They are referred to as the greatest and most virtuous nights of the year. In these days, we try to increase our good deeds and worship. What makes these last ten days of Ramadan special is Laylatul Qadr, the Night of Decree,. Laylatul Qadr is one of the most sacred nights in Islamic calendar. In that night, Quran was revealed to the prophet(PBUH). So, what should we do in these ten days?
- Seeking Laylatul Qadr, the prophet(PBUH) said;”Seek Lailat-ul-Qadr (Night of Decree) in the odd nights out of the last ten nights of Ramadan.” and he also ordered us to increase our prayers in that night;”Whosoever performs Qiyam during Lailat-ul-Qadr (Night of Decree), with Faith and being hopeful of Allah’s reward, will have his former sins forgiven.” Allah shows His mercy to His creation in these nights. Allah says in Quran;”The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months.”
- Performing I’tikaf, we can perform I’tikaf at mosque during the last ten days of Ramadan. the I’tikaf means seclusion. We stay at masjed and focus on worshiping and rebuilding our relationship with him.
- Giving charity.
- Making much Du’a, Allah accepts duaa in these nights and forgive the sinners
It observed the 10th of Muharram month, the first month of Islamic calendar. The word “Ashura” is derived from the Arabic word “Ashrah” which means ten. On this day, Allah parted the sea for prophet Moses and his people and protect them from the pharaoh. It is Sunnah to fast on this day.
To get more information about Islamic teachings and occasions, join our Islamic study program by click on this word “Islamic studies program“